Monday, August 11, 2008

Pope Says "No More Limbo"

No, he wasn't talking about the game where the horizontal pole is between 2 vertical ones and you try to shimmy under it as the pole gets lowered each time. He was talking about THIS limbo. Amazing to me that this man can just go and change something that has been taught by the Roman Cathlic Church for centuries. Something these people have held onto for years and years was changed in a few minutes by a pope's declaration. What's to stop him from decreeing that there's no real Heaven? If I were a Roman Catholic I'd be worrying a little bit. If something so widely taught by my religion could be ridded of by a pope I'd be concerned about what he was going to get rid of or change next.

I am SO glad I have the Word of God that has been given by God and preserved for us. No matter what anyone says about Christianity (and by that I mean knowing Jesus Christ as personal Saviour, NOT a religion) I can go to the Bible and know what God says. His Word never changes! It's never changed and will stand forever no matter what men say. It's great comfort to know that if I rest on His Word it will still be standing when it comes time for me to die. If something happens to my baby I know my baby will go to Heaven, not because of what some Pope decrees, but because that's what God has always said in the Bible. How wonderful it is to have the Bible!

I think it's interesting the pope got rid of limbo and one of his main reasons was because "it isn't found in the Bible". That's true, it ISN'T found in the Bible, then why was it something millions of Catholics were taught to be true? How many OTHER things have Catholics been taught that aren't actually found in Scripture? Purgatory, baptism of infants, Peter being the first Catholic priest (he was married!!), that the bread and wine become Jesus' actual flesh and blood, that Mary was the mother of God (she was the Virgin that God used to bring His Son into the world, but she acknowledges in the Bible that she needed Jesus as her Saviour! She was not sinless, but a sinner who needed the Saviour the same as we all do), confession to priests, monks and nuns (actually the Bible warns against people who forbid to marry and tell you to obstain from meats 1 Timothy 4:3) , popes (the Bible says there is ONE mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus! Thank the Lord I don't have to go through a priest, but I can speak directly to God through Jesus Christ, His Son). These are just a few of the things the Roman Catholic Church has taught for ages none of which can be found in the Bible.

I have a lot of dear Catholic friends and I wish they would stop and think about their religion. It is something than can, and has been, changed by men over and over. It's not a firm foundation.

5 comments:

The Broken Man said...

Interesting point that Peter was married - that hadn't occured to me!

The Broken Man

http://theblogofabrokenman.blogspot.com/

Rachel said...

Yep...he had a mother-in law. Don't know how you'd get one of those without being married first! :)

the twenty-something said...

Just FYI, the bible has changed with each translation, especially the early ones, whenever kings or officials commissioned it be re-translated. The number of books left out, the number of plain mistakes in translation, the number of times it was re-written... Not trying to start a fight or anything, but nothing remains 2000 years without changing at all. Best we've got are remnants, copies and extrapolations. I'm just saying it'd be safer not to make such broad statements - just gives others reasons to criticize. And then they miss your real point.

Rachel said...

The King James has stayed true to the pure text. Modern versions have changed many things because they try to interpret what God "means" instead of simply translating what God has said word for word.

Try studying out the history of the King James Bible. Interesting study! :)

Rachel said...

BTW...I have a pure and final authority. I believe God is God enough to preserve His Word perfectly as He said He would. If we can't rest assured we have His perfect word, then why bother to read any of it at all? :)